Skip to content
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to bring my own helmet?
A limited number of helmets are available for use. Riders are encouraged to obtain their own helmet as soon as possible.
- What should I wear to my first riding lesson?
Wear boots with a heel and a smooth sole, a pair of jeans or riding pants, and a comfortable shirt.
- What should I expect at my first riding lesson?
If you have never ridden before, you will learn how to groom, tack up, and mount your horse. New riders may start out on a lead line or longe line until the instructor feels it is safe for you to ride independently. Many people are often sore the day after riding- you use muscles in different ways on horseback!
- Is there a minimum/maximum age to ride?
Children must be at least 3 years old to take riding lessons. There’s no age limit for adult riders!
- Are helmets required?
Helmets are required for mounted activities for all riders under age 18. Helmets are encouraged for all riders, regardless of age or discipline.
- What time should I arrive for my lesson?
Arrive with enough time to groom and tack up your horse before your lesson; you are expected to be ready to begin riding at your scheduled lesson time. If you require assistance grooming or tacking up (e.g. children who are unable to saddle their horse), you should arrive at your scheduled lesson time.
- What is your cancellation policy?
48 hours notice is required to cancel a lesson without incurring the normal lesson fee.
- What type of notice is required for moving a horse who is boarded at Osage Hills?
30 days notice is required when moving a horse.